Friday, July 19, 2013

The garage is up!!

The garage work has begun and it's moving so quickly!  I'm pretty sure I say that about everything, but they just work so quickly on things around here!  Could be the intense heat is speeding them up so they can get out of the it!  This week they started framing the garage and the stone work has also begun.  The entire garage will be covered in stone to match the house.  The stone is a pretty close match but the only difference will be the edges of the stone for the garage don't match the edges on the stone on the house.  When the house was built, someone(or more likely a group of people) cut each stone to make the sides all straight.  Well, that is a HUGE task, not to mention costly, so the garage stone has rough edges but it will still look great.


Here is our 3 car garage.  The middle opening isn't finished being cut yet so it looks like a smaller opening because it actually is!

 It is a huge garage but it looks so small next to the house!


Here is the beginning of the stone work.  We didn't originally plan on having windows out the back of the garage but after seeing the giant wall that will be covered with stone we decided to add 3 basic windows, that will be centered on the garage doors, to help the aesthetic look of the garage.
 Here you can see an up close look at the stone we are using.  It looks great!  You can see the rough edges as compared to the straight edges on the house in the picture below.






Next week the roof will go on the garage and before we know it the entire thing will be done!  


I go out to the house just about every day to see what's going on and this beautiful plant surprised me!  When we are all done with the restoration we will do the landscaping so we haven't really moved anything or pulled out any plants because we would rather let the professionals handle that(Todd and I aren't very good with that sort of thing!).  Anyway, I try to envision what it will look like and what type of plants I want where(once again....I don't get very far because I'm terrible in this department).  I just assumed these random plants would be trashed but they bloomed and I love them!  Just wanted to share because the red flowers are so pretty and a nice surprise!

4 comments:

  1. It's a Crepe Myrtle. If you look at my house you will see all of the pink ones. I think this one is probably a mid size and may not get as tall as the ones at our house. I wish we had red ones like this. - Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muskogee "Red Rocket" Crepe Myrtles. They are not "random". There is one on each end of the front beds.

    The trees you took out for the driveway were a group of Redbuds (the official Oklahoma State Tree), and a Silver Maple.

    In the backyard are (now maybe were) four fruit trees. A Plum, two Apple trees, and a Peach tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great to hear about the plants! Especially the fruit trees in the back yard! How exciting to have fruit growing! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew about the fruit trees or I would have had to take a little walk to see if any "fell" on the ground! :) I am also glad to know the name of the Crepe Myrtles because I love the red ones. - Lori

    ReplyDelete